Tony Dubovsky is in the process of leaving his Wurster office—after almost five decades!—which means letting go not just of physical things, but also a revisiting of many many thoughts and memories. The photos following, together with the writing, are part of this, and I’d like to share them with you—friends and students, students and friends, over the many years. Just like one of my classes--spontaneous, inadvertent--where we can touch on anything, and opening is the goal...
Monday, May 13, 2019
The Real You
The Real You. You never know the real you--was that the point I was making? Or more, just playing? Which is as good a philosophical strategy as any! It's from one of the VS280 Seminars, maybe 7 or 8 years back. I don't remember the evening, or whose life-mask this was (possibly Hugo, the student visiting from France?) Someone in the group sent it along to me following.
I never hesitated on these inclinations--these ways of joining in --where the moment was playful, but an underlying meaning came through as well. Looks a touch like Artaud--which I take as a great compliment. His journey to Mexico, just before the war, expecting to find Mexican political thinkers more interesting than the French--but no, it was all Europa--and so he wandered north, to the homeland of the Tarahumara, in the deserts of Chihuahua--Copper Canyon--where they'd been pushed into an internal exile by the same forces he himself was fleeing. Great runners, covering immense distance, not much food, and without shoes...
But here there's a smile. And, just now, I found the student's name--Hugo Bruley. Yes, from France. Along with his semester summary--which he sent to me, apologizing for his English. But I think it's just fine... And clearly something he needed to write:
Scream words of french hate
Scared feet dripping with yellow
I dance on paper
Shivers with music
A weak hand goes on, brushing
I dance on paper
Perfume of memory
Shh! Hear Tony and his tales
Dancing on paper
_____
That semester, Spring 2011, marked the beginning of a very difficult time in my own life--and I see that Hugo included this note at the end: "Today is my birthday and I wish you the best, I hope everything will be better soon for you."
We do reach out...
.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment