Tony Dubovsky is in the process of leaving his Wurster office—after almost five decades!—which means letting go not just of physical things, but also a revisiting of many many thoughts and memories. The photos following, together with the writing, are part of this, and I’d like to share them with you—friends and students, students and friends, over the many years. Just like one of my classes--spontaneous, inadvertent--where we can touch on anything, and opening is the goal...
Wednesday, May 8, 2019
Roses
Roses. Maybe I like these too much, the dried flowers--certainly at this hour of evening, with the indigo light coming through the eucalyptus, and a scatter of dorm windows like jewels in the distance... The flowers redeem even the concrete--even the stained window glass (seasons of dust and rain), and so that I feel I'm somewhere in Gujarat, or on the Malabar Coast, awaiting the monsoon, or a festival procession, where great wheeled entities--the Gods--rumble slowly down to the sea.
But wait, let's be a bit more prosaic here--we'll settle for Aditya's cap, reflected there on the wall, green brim (Punjab, yes) or the single Egyptian bamboo pen, a scribe's ink, from Deborah. The wall thinned out, after the move back in 1999, so that just the essentials remain. Spoons on the ledge--a few of them, stacked together after a garage sale--maybe for Songs & Places (Banks of the Ohio), or the one empty terracotta pot--something Penny brought me once--a plant to tend, but I managed to leave it over winter break. The goldenrod lamp, slip showing, needs some tending as well.
No complaints though, this beautiful place, yes. Inside and out. Indigo...
.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment