Tony Dubovsky is in the process of leaving his Wurster office—after almost five decades!—which means letting go not just of physical things, but also a revisiting of many many thoughts and memories. The photos following, together with the writing, are part of this, and I’d like to share them with you—friends and students, students and friends, over the many years. Just like one of my classes--spontaneous, inadvertent--where we can touch on anything, and opening is the goal...
Monday, May 13, 2019
Ancestral Realm
Ancestral Realm. A flyer for a class review. ED11A, Ancestral Realm--the final project for my big drawing class--described more fully in an earlier post. (See Navy Man.) I’d rework these flyers each term—that is, make a new one for each new review. And the quality of the copies was always important. By that I mean the specific quality of the copies—their look—the type font, the paper, the latent trace of technology (here the horizontal strain lines from a poorly made xerox)—which were meant to bring out a sense of time. Or at least my understanding of it. And of course the drawing. One of my own, figures on a road, perhaps. I don’t remember the source—or if I invented it. (About 2007, teaching with Nathaniel, Chelsea and others. Katie, of course.) There’s a touch of Blue Period Picasso—always my favorites—with that same quality of figures present/figures past. The Family of Saltimbanques, from 1905. From a time time when he accepted (and had mastered) that particular language of longing…
The flyer is taped up to something else, the side a white cardboard packing box, on the table near the office door. In situ, as they say. As if you were there with me yourself…
.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment