Tony Dubovsky is in the process of leaving his Wurster office—after almost five decades!—which means letting go not just of physical things, but also a revisiting of many many thoughts and memories. The photos following, together with the writing, are part of this, and I’d like to share them with you—friends and students, students and friends, over the many years. Just like one of my classes--spontaneous, inadvertent--where we can touch on anything, and opening is the goal...
Tuesday, May 14, 2019
Chelsea
Chelsea. Starting fresh, a new morning. And that's just how I first encountered Chelsea, sitting at the table outside my office like this. She was waiting to meet with Galen Cranz, a professor and friend of many years (our time together goes back to Reed College in the 1960s). Chelsea had come from Canada to work with Galen--to edit, sort, manage, resolve some of these same end-of-time questions (end of time in the teaching sense!) that I'm facing.
She looked up just as I was about to take the picture (with an iPad camera, quite visibly present--which I find important, actually) so you really are seeing the first time we met! I always enjoyed our encounters--Chelsea's a very bright spirit. Unusual, too. She told me once that many of her best friends are three times her own age--I think you can see that in her expression. Very much Chelsea.
She lost both of her parents recently--within a few months of each other. Galen told me. I haven't seen Chelsea to tell her I was very sorry to hear.
How this somehow fits with all the rest of her story. An artist, too...
.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment