Tony Dubovsky is in the process of leaving his Wurster office—after almost five decades!—which means letting go not just of physical things, but also a revisiting of many many thoughts and memories. The photos following, together with the writing, are part of this, and I’d like to share them with you—friends and students, students and friends, over the many years. Just like one of my classes--spontaneous, inadvertent--where we can touch on anything, and opening is the goal...
Saturday, May 11, 2019
Hamburger Stack
Hamburger Stack. Actually, I'd never call it that! The word is from an Apple Online Help representative--a young woman who knew a great deal more about iPads than I ever will. But she assisted me greatly, by telephone, when my old one expired. Hamburger button--that was her word for the stack of three short horizontal lines found at the top of certain webpages, as a navigational tool--hyperlink--click on them and you can go somewhere. Except that I never knew the name... Which made sense, but in all the wrong ways--for the word focused on the layers-as-symbol--a hamburger diagram--but left out all the hamburgerness...
And what would the hamburgerness in this photo be? I'm tempted to invoke Pisa (Leaning Tower)-- but probably accretion would be better. How things just end up. It's been this way for a few years now--wasn't always so--and I miss the plain work surface of my old masonite desk. Will have to clear things away and get back to it in any case. But there's a key element here--something gone missing for a long time, I had no idea where--and I found it in this picture! The Kodak carousel box--a Carousel Transview 80 slide tray--which at one point was the kind of thing I used every day of class, choosing a new set of slides on the glass top of my light table (in the office, farther to the right) and popping them into the waiting slots of a freshly emptied slide tray. Ready for another lecture in ED11A.
But there were always a few trays that stayed complete and intact, and it's the small word, Poland, in my own writing that's the give away. Slides I made in Warsaw, in 1968-69, the year I lived there. The city still showed traces of the war--the destruction--blasted back-street walls, shored up with heavy timbers, and a certain grayness characteristic of the East Block (Warsaw without the glitz and distraction of Western advertising). The slides came from a brown file box like the one you see just below--nicely made, in sheet metal, with compartments for each group of slides and a secure metal latch.
Those slides are precious to me--as if cut from my own being. (Maybe I sensed this at the time I made them?) And it was only rarely that I'd show them in class. Had to be important. I remember doing so one morning, in ED11A, maybe the early 1980s, when a hand shot up at the back of the room. Adamant voice. Why are you showing us these pictures? The right question, but the tone so unexpected--when it all seemed so clear to me. I was sharing a part of myself...
A girl from Greece, studying architecture in California--but maybe (I realized later) she came from a place where one knew that pictures like this were from a world all too close...?
_____
There's something else in the photo, overall, and it does have to do with the stack. Makes me want to say cultural geology. My own, perhaps...
.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment