Tony Dubovsky is in the process of leaving his Wurster office—after almost five decades!—which means letting go not just of physical things, but also a revisiting of many many thoughts and memories. The photos following, together with the writing, are part of this, and I’d like to share them with you—friends and students, students and friends, over the many years. Just like one of my classes--spontaneous, inadvertent--where we can touch on anything, and opening is the goal...
Sunday, May 19, 2019
Painting
Painting. A woman facing an expanse of the unknown. That's pretty high-fallutin' for an image on a piece of cardboard. And I’ll carp about the exposure, too—the contrast here is too high—the feeling of the original is more subtle. But there are always these questions, and what I want to get at is what it feels like to walk in here and see this again. That's what's crucial. The way a painting allows for a moment of return. Strange, too--since the experience itself is so immediate.
I put it here once, many years ago, never moved it again. (Well, slight adjustments when it's knocked over by the wind.) It's leaning back against something you don't see--a metal container--a special can of something from Maine--maple-syrup, believe it or not--from my dear pal Tim Higbee, once a student with me here, Tim went on to study lithography at Tamarind, now has a press of his own in a place called Hope. He brought me the Maine maple syrup as a gift...
And should everything find a use? Or be used, that is? I like knowing that Tim's maple-syrup can is hidden--that constitutes a use of its own. I think he'd forgive me for not putting it on pancakes--appreciate the story, no doubt.
For in the end, that's what we have--the story, of course...
___
"An expanse of the unknown"--I think I was channeling my favorite Kafka quote, from the Diaries 1910-13: "The silhouette of a man who, his arms half raised at different levels, confronts the thick mist in order to enter it."
.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment