Tony Dubovsky is in the process of leaving his Wurster office—after almost five decades!—which means letting go not just of physical things, but also a revisiting of many many thoughts and memories. The photos following, together with the writing, are part of this, and I’d like to share them with you—friends and students, students and friends, over the many years. Just like one of my classes--spontaneous, inadvertent--where we can touch on anything, and opening is the goal...
Thursday, May 9, 2019
Landscape and Sill
Landscape and Sill. The word Sabina always used was tilth. That was ten years back. I don't think I'd heard it before, but the meaning--in the context of farm and field--was soon enough quite clear. A set of associations that had to do with the larger business of growing things. Crops. Sustenance and nurture--what Wendell Berry called The Gift of Good Land.
However, the starting point here is different--the wildness of a certain unknown, more Gary Snyder--where trees disappear in morning mist, and the edges of pastures become meadow. It's a small painting, made in class--one of those afternoons where conditions were just right--the hooded desk lamp, the music, the shadows. A piece of cardboard with crumpled corners--hand-cut above, so that then line of the material echoes the slope of the land. A place I know? That would be hard. Maybe all the places I know...
Funny, to see it leaned against the parapet this way--the edge of the sill, with its line of black caulk against a run of industrial aluminum window frame. The concrete is from the original Wurster pour. Joe Esherick and Don Olsen were very particular about details like this--the slightly eased edge, the trace of wood grain from the forms. Open-ended but precise. A kind of teaching in itself--in the materials...
Making a place for work like this to feel at home...
We must thank them, too...
.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment