Tony Dubovsky is in the process of leaving his Wurster office—after almost five decades!—which means letting go not just of physical things, but also a revisiting of many many thoughts and memories. The photos following, together with the writing, are part of this, and I’d like to share them with you—friends and students, students and friends, over the many years. Just like one of my classes--spontaneous, inadvertent--where we can touch on anything, and opening is the goal...
Friday, May 10, 2019
And Naomi
And Naomi. Things like this would happen, too. The curious matte-board box, tied with black string, when I opened it, tiny replicas came pouring out. All of me. Naomi had made them, of course. Figured out how. It was at the beginning of digital printing--the laser cutter, and she'd programmed in the image of a drawing she'd made, surreptitiously--it was me, of course, looking just as resolute and wooden (okay!) as I could sometimes be. She was kidding, slyly. But it was a work filled with affection, and she gave me the set. Front and back, as shown.
I always loved her playfulness--she'd done sculpture in college, and it came naturally. But serious too (her fascination with robots, early on, I recall.) She shared these things with us, too.
I see that she's in Santa Barbara now (she and Ted together). Works for Lighthouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired. "Designer of Tactile Graphics, Tactile Maps, and 3D Printed Accessible Media."
Beautiful, when you see where we all begin...
.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment