Tony Dubovsky is in the process of leaving his Wurster office—after almost five decades!—which means letting go not just of physical things, but also a revisiting of many many thoughts and memories. The photos following, together with the writing, are part of this, and I’d like to share them with you—friends and students, students and friends, over the many years. Just like one of my classes--spontaneous, inadvertent--where we can touch on anything, and opening is the goal...
Sunday, May 5, 2019
Floor Star
Floor Star. I've always liked the Wurster floor--that scuffed brown linoleum, kept to a high polish, as if we'd joined the military or were going to church. Joe Esherick chose it, no doubt--at least that would be my guess. Dutiful, robust--ready for adventure. And always in the background--unassertive in itself--making no claims on our stylistic attentions. Solid, pleasant, uninflected--just there when you need it--and yet, with a certain warmth that would be hard to explain. (A warm floor?) An important warmth in an otherwise trying environment, with due dates and competitions, the unrelenting emphasis on the practical--getting things done being always a given.
Makes me think of the day, when I was still in school here in the Architecture program, in the first year of Option 3. That would have been 1967-68, and a professional emphasis reigned supreme. Not that many of us understood what this meant, particularly--a set of codes--how you dressed, how you stood, the pinky finger in the air when you pointed to a project drawing on review. (Where does one learn to do this?) And yet the energy outside was 1967 all around--a grand contradiction. (Tear gas in Sproul Plaza would follow). I was mystified. The courses presented things I very much enjoyed--and I learned to use the shop (that beast of industry, the Northfield table saw)--but the severity of the then design channels wasn't right, so I began to look around. A poster on a wall somewhere on campus--the Berkeley-Stanford Graduate Exchange Fellowship in Warsaw--and soon enough, I was walking out the door of a required undergrad engineering course (slide rules and pocket protectors) and down to Dwinelle, where in a dusty classroom a group of odd and unusual types--each of their postures unique, and thereby appealing--were learning a new language... Jeszcze Polska nie zginęła...
.
