Tony Dubovsky is in the process of leaving his Wurster office—after almost five decades!—which means letting go not just of physical things, but also a revisiting of many many thoughts and memories. The photos following, together with the writing, are part of this, and I’d like to share them with you—friends and students, students and friends, over the many years. Just like one of my classes--spontaneous, inadvertent--where we can touch on anything, and opening is the goal...
Sunday, May 19, 2019
Saki
Saki. I remembered her name. Saki! Now why does a lively-minded Chinese-American girl studying at Berkeley choose a Japanese alcoholic beverage for her nickname? And why not? Maybe precisely because of her lively mind! It was the Songs & Places class, perhaps 2012--I don't remember the project--the song, that is, but Saki came in with this flock of pigeons. Flock of handmade pigeons--each one carefully sewn and stuffed in a precise and well-crafted manner. That was Saki--she wore her intelligence this way--a garment, of sorts--which she'd make into a reality.
She also liked letters. Type, I mean. Had the mind and the eye for it--a sense of precise detail, and a wide-ranging curiosity--so that she cared about the history--say Jan Tschichold, his Asymmetric Typography, from 1967--a book I loaned her at one point, along with several others. Very few of the students wanted to take things this far--the weekly projects kept them too involved in the now--and in any case, they were more absorbed in their own questions of creativity. But Saki would go the extra mile--she had that kind of mind--and a lyric imagination, where all her skill and precision was able to flower in the unexpected, the strangely useless--which was of course another important well of meaning...
And really, a good cloth pigeon is never useless. Look, it's sitting right here, on my desk, so that I see it everyday. Saki gave it to me, later that evening, after class--one from her own flock...
_____
And the beautiful small bottle of Nardini grappa, brought from Italy by Stefano Schiavon--a present we will one day share together!
.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment