Saturday, May 11, 2019

Redemption







































Redemption. Of several kinds, really. First, the light of the lamp against the Wurster plywood wall, which makes the whole thing possible. And then the small, plaque-like work next to its base--a bit hard to see here, but a kind of portrait-in-clay made for me by Cassie Seo, a solemn but bright-spirited Korean-American girl from years back. I remember once when Cassie came in for a talk, in the office (sitting no doubt in the gray chair alongside my desk), and it dawned on me--for the first time, really--that there was something important I had to tell her. "Cassie, I have the feeling you're 5000 years old." She was mystified, of course--but I know that my observation sank in. Not the kind of thing you tell a student everyday. She'd just finished sharing some stories about her growing up, in Seattle, and with each new turn, I could see that she was faced with a world that was preeminently new--and that the reason things puzzled her so was because she had so much of the old within her. Quite beautiful, really, to be able to help a young person sort things like this out.

I don't even know if I meant it literally--Cassie was also perfectly American--but the truth of the image made sense.

She sent me a letter years later, with photographs, experimental work she'd been doing, as an artist, now in Berlin. It made sense too...
_____

On the theme of redemption: The small light-brown box just behind. I used to make those. Wrap them, that is--for underneath is a Wrigley's Extra Chewing Gum container--I'd take the box, carefully run a piece of wet paper tape around the sides and bottom, and end up with a something mysterious and  unknown. (Is that too grand?) Thinking perhaps of Josef Beuys, and the way (in his multiples) he'd take objects of common commercial origin (two wine bottles in a wooden wine-bottle box), cover the printed labels with a piece of his signature gray felt, thereby eliminating all trace of culture--we were back to the ur bottle, as if all the rest of history had never happened. (With all the Evropa stuff today, that's a little scary--but I found Beuy's insight illuminating.)

_____

And the Chinese scroll to the right. A painting, given to me by one of the students, also years ago. It's been a long time since I've looked. Sent by the the students father, I think. A copy of a masterpiece--but a copy made by hand. And in that sense, something to be honored. It has found a place, though...

Cassie Seo

.

No comments: