Tony Dubovsky is in the process of leaving his Wurster office—after almost five decades!—which means letting go not just of physical things, but also a revisiting of many many thoughts and memories. The photos following, together with the writing, are part of this, and I’d like to share them with you—friends and students, students and friends, over the many years. Just like one of my classes--spontaneous, inadvertent--where we can touch on anything, and opening is the goal...
Wednesday, May 8, 2019
Jane
Jane. So many good stories here, I'll touch on just a few. This is Jane--Jane Glickman, who was in some of my very first classes at Berkeley--that's going back to the early 1970s, with a group of students from the old Design Department. We all became very close, I was their teacher--young myself at the time, recently back from two years in Europe (Warsaw and Amsterdam) and ready to share everything I'd learned. (I'm thinking of a book we did together--Brain Transplant--where each student handled a chapter on the arts of the 20th century--all the "-isms" that became a foundation for modern design. I wanted them to know this stuff! Green silk-screened cover, with pink, which we produced together, very much of its time!)
This is from the day that Jane came over to talk with Robin and me about the office archive--the layers, in time, in projects, in ideas. All the things that inhabit this place--the spirits. She's an exhibition designer (among other talents!) and early on worked with Gordon Ashby at the Oakland Museum, when they were doing the history gallery. Jane and I have always shared a sensibility as well as a long-time friendship, and I've trusted her judgment in all kinds of things. She taught in Wurster in the '80's--the big rolling review walls downstairs--originally painted a beautiful dark green--were from Jane's time here. Her contribution. They've been repainted black, long since--perhaps predictably--but they go on being used!
____
I always like that lamp in the background, it's shade tilted as if to remind us of something--like smile, or a raised eyebrow... Jane's hands, too...
.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment