Tony Dubovsky is in the process of leaving his Wurster office—after almost five decades!—which means letting go not just of physical things, but also a revisiting of many many thoughts and memories. The photos following, together with the writing, are part of this, and I’d like to share them with you—friends and students, students and friends, over the many years. Just like one of my classes--spontaneous, inadvertent--where we can touch on anything, and opening is the goal...
Sunday, May 12, 2019
Song Sheets
Song Sheets. There are so many of these, and I'm attached to them, so it's hard to know what to do. Different sets, usually for individual classes (VS185X: Songs & Places) in their individual iterations. The trouble is (as with so many things) I like the way they look--often with a drawing--that's me with the concertina on one--or some other embellishment--or just the sense that they're handsomely organized and that someone cared. I asked Dorry about this (one of the Planning grads who was passing in the hall) and she said that no one her age would want the paper--they all use their phones, and all the songs are available online. I even have them posted myself!
http://anthonydubovsky33.blogspot.com/
But at the same time, there's something pleasant about holding a song sheet in your hands, turning through the pages, finding the next song by accident, or inadvertently--but with the feeling that they all belong to a set. Very different than the experience of infinite availability when one does this online. The digital world being a blessing, but also a great robber--we lose all the mistakes. (And of course gain some new ones, but digital in nature!)
Ask John at Down Home Music in El Cerrito. Maybe he'll have an idea.
.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment