Tony Dubovsky is in the process of leaving his Wurster office—after almost five decades!—which means letting go not just of physical things, but also a revisiting of many many thoughts and memories. The photos following, together with the writing, are part of this, and I’d like to share them with you—friends and students, students and friends, over the many years. Just like one of my classes--spontaneous, inadvertent--where we can touch on anything, and opening is the goal...
Monday, June 3, 2019
The Napoleonic Model
The Napoleonic Model. Have no idea who took this, but there's Mario Ochoa--I' think he sent it to me. I like his face--that combination of skepticism and non-chalance. Always have. We're in the old Room 491--my Visual studies studio, before shifting downstairs. So the year is before 2009. How did they talk me into the pose? No trouble really--I always liked an element of theater. And apparently my Napoleon proved just right for the occasion.
Mario graduated in Architecture, and went on to grad school at Syracuse. (I remember writing for him. Always something of a challenge when the person in question is in the midst of figuring things out. But maybe the Napoleon here gave him some extra confidence? That you could do anything?
Remembering Mario's telling me about the mine his grandfather had dug in the mountains of Baja. A good story at the time, but even better when you know that Mario did indeed pull it together--and became an architect. I just looked at his face on LinkedIn--his smile. Maybe that skepticism proved a form of hope...
.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Mario later sent me a note, which included this clarification:
Un punto de clarificacion. Mi abuelo paterno solia excavar con frecuencia, en busca de tesoros que el creia habian sido enterrados por bandidos e acendados, durante la gerra de revolucion en Mexico.
El solia excavar en Jururemba, Michoacan - no en Baja. En Jururemba nacio Ana Maria Gallaga, la madre de Don Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla (Mexico's George Washington). Mi abuelo Jose y mi padre Mario nacieron en Jururemba tambien. Yo creci en ese pequeño poblado y solia acompañar a mi abuelo durante sus excavaciones. Nunca encontramos nada.
Post a Comment