Tony Dubovsky is in the process of leaving his Wurster office—after almost five decades!—which means letting go not just of physical things, but also a revisiting of many many thoughts and memories. The photos following, together with the writing, are part of this, and I’d like to share them with you—friends and students, students and friends, over the many years. Just like one of my classes--spontaneous, inadvertent--where we can touch on anything, and opening is the goal...
Monday, June 3, 2019
Song Night
Song Night. One of our end-of-the-semester events, always a good conclusion to the class, and also a chance to get all my musician friends together. There's David Beecher, with violin (David teaches history at Cal) and Mauricio, on guitar, smiling--and Kory, to my left, whose face says she's enjoying herself. (I remember that Kory had joined us impomptu--but she knew all the México songs, with her compelling voice. See Kory post). David plays beautifully--and just about anything, by ear--it was always a treat when he'd sit in. Fine accordion by Max Chanowitz, from behind.
We're in the old Room 170--dark wood walls to the right, lots of contemplative middle distance to get lost in. (This quality vanished when the room was re-done all white two years later.)
Oh yes, the identifier tag. There in the screenshot, unfortunately--but I guess I'll always know that that's me...
_____
I liked to give names to those evenings, this one being Fiesta, Vecherinka, Hoedown. Spanish, Russian, and American. Sometimes with a special songbook to match--for that night, see http://anthonydubovsky33.blogspot.com/
_____
The yellow rose on the table. From the garden on Miramar, one of Betsy's. I must have brought it with her in mind, too...
.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment