Tony Dubovsky is in the process of leaving his Wurster office—after almost five decades!—which means letting go not just of physical things, but also a revisiting of many many thoughts and memories. The photos following, together with the writing, are part of this, and I’d like to share them with you—friends and students, students and friends, over the many years. Just like one of my classes--spontaneous, inadvertent--where we can touch on anything, and opening is the goal...
Monday, June 3, 2019
Sarah Brady
Sarah Brady. So many places to start, with Sarah--but she posted this duck on her Irish Soda Bread site--so why not? First, it's modest and appealing, but there's a touch of edge in the way she's turned its head--very much like Sarah herself. And you can see she loves these creatures, human and otherwise.
We met when she started my ED11A drawing class--that was Fall 2009, and as it turned out, the last time I did the course--so Sarah's presence was very fitting. She was a good drawer throughout, but the final project, Ancestral Realm, was the one that really engaged her. An Irish family on the slopes of Mount Shasta--that was Sarah's growing up. American, of course, but her Irish roots were close--the Soda Bread came from her mom (and her grandmother prior) both of whom figured in the wonderful set of drawings she made. The women's side--not exclusively, Sarah often spoke of her father, too--but it was the recipes and the cooking and the home-bound part of her past--a Shasta cabin in the rain, the muddy roads down to Redding for school--the Irish Soda bread--these were Sarah's anchor. Very far from my own realm, but we connected immediately--maybe because I immediately appreciated the strength of Sarah's own sense of connection. Which she later called "the sacred qualities of everyday life." That pretty much covers it for me--said so simply and so beautifully--so like Sarah.
After the semester she made the trip to Ireland. There were relatives and family places--her notebooks are filled with Sarah's wonderful drawings--but again, what you feel most is the connection. The necessity of being there. Which also means the necessity of just being.
I have many many Sarah stories, maybe because we did share so many things. (They're part of my treasure!) Like the Thursday evenings after class, when I'd give her a lift back to Lothlorien. We'd drive down Piedmont at 10:30pm, past all the re-founded fraternities and sororities--their participants out on the street in party clothes, some with drinks in hand, moving in pairs and trios and clusters towards the un-designated tour buses parked on the circle at Channing--to be whisked off somewhere into the night. I saw Sarah watching, through the window of my ancient VW bus--we both felt that this was foreign territory. "Fort Apache," I said to her, "that's where we're heading. Get you through all this, M'am..."
Sarah smiled--she knew what I meant--but I think she also saw the people just outside...
.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment